AI3 & SOI-Asia Fall meeting 2017
In conjunction with
The Regional Workshop on Promoting Use of Local and Indigenous Knowledge Systems (LINKS) in ICTs to deliver SDG 17 in Timor-Leste
12-14 October 2017
co-hosted by :
National University of East Timor (UNTL), UNESCO Regional Science Bureau for Asia and the Pacific and AI3/SOI-Asia
The AI3/SOI-Asia Joint Bi-Annual Meeting 2017 will be co-hosted by UNESCO Office Regional Science Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, with the support of the Japanese Funds-in-Trust (JFIT) and UNTL. In addition to the traditional AI3/SOI-Asia meeting agenda, a special session will be conducted to discuss about the role and the way to establish and strengthen national Research and Education Networks (RENs).
There is a growing recognition of the importance of integrating global experiences into traditional courses of study and providing graduating students with “global competencies”. However, the specific context of SIDS (Small Island Developing States) and their specific challenges, including small but growing populations, limited resources, remoteness, susceptibility to natural disasters, vulnerability to external shocks, and fragile environments require tailored solutions especially in ICTs for the delivery of SDG 17. Integration of ICTs with Local and Indigenous Knowledge Systems (LINKS) can be an efficient tool for the customization of current practices for the delivery of SDG 17 and SDG 13 due to the remoteness and special vulnerability of SIDS to climate change. This workshop will be the occasion to discuss and document possible field of applications and policy recommendations for the region and for the particular context of Timor-Leste. Indeed, in Timor Leste as a SIDS, a least developed and a newly established country, mainstreamed LINKS based STI can be instrumental in overcoming developmental challenges, enhance resilience to climate change impact and deliver 2030 agenda in general.
Objectives of the Workshop
The regional workshop on Promoting Use of Local and Indigenous Knowledge Systems (LINKS) in ICTs to deliver SDG 17 in Timor-Leste will:
- Identify possible fields of application of ICTs related to SDG 13 and 17
- Draft policy recommendations for enabling ICTs as a powerful tool for the delivery of 2030 Agenda.
- Recommend ways to strengthen the establishment and roles of RENs in particular TLREN
The workshop will start on Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 08.30 am and will end on Saturday, 14 October 2017 at 12.30 pm. All participants are expected to arrive in Dili, Timor-Leste on Wednesday, 11 October 2017
Agenda (tentative to be confirmed)
|Session/ Time||Programme Agenda||Speakers|
|Day 1 – 12 October 2017|
|Morning Session||AI3/SOI-Asia Meeting :
SOI-Asia groups Operators meeting
Presentation and Update from each operators site
|Afternoon Session 1 – Worskhop||Case Studies (video) :
“Impact of use of social media on society, how to give awareness and alert the communities on adverse impacts of social media” (20 minutes – tbc)
|UNESCO Jakarta, Dr Ming Kuok Lim|
|Afternoon Session 2 – Workshop||Case Studies
Opportunities and role of LINKS for STI policies in DRR for climate change impact mitigation and sustainable development in Timor-Leste
(1 hour 30 minutes)
|Lead by UNESCO and UNTL|
|Welcoming panelists and guest of honour|
|Afternoon Session 3 – Discussion Panel||Panel Discussion “Lessons learnt from current management of Timor Leste RENs and how to strengthen TLREN” (2 hours)
|Workshop Formal Closing Remarks
|Evening Session – Welcome Dinner||Dinner Hosted by Universiti of Timor Leste (Hotel Timor)|
|Day 2 – 13 October 2017|
|Morning Session – Presentation
(only AI3/SOI-Asia Members)
|Presentation/ Short Lecturer for Student of UNTL
Questions and Answers
|Led by SOI-Asia|
|Afternoon Session –
(only AI3/SOI-Asia Members)
|AI3/ SOI-Asia Steering Committee Coordination meeting||Led by SOI-Asia
AI3/SOI-Asia network members
|Evening Session – Dinner||Dinner Hosted by SOI/AI3
Dinner Venue : to be confirmed (tbc)
|Day 3 – 14 October 2017|
|Morning Session –
(only AI3/SOI-Asia Members)
|High Level & Director Meeting of AI3/ SOI-Asia Partners
Meeting follow-up and resolutions
|AI3/SOI-Asia High-Level Management|
|Afternoon Session||Participant Depart from the Event|
The regional Workshop and AI3/SOI-Asia Meeting will be held on 12 – 14 October 2017 in Dili, Timor Leste
12 – 13 October 2017
- The workshop will be held at Ministry of Social Solidarity (MSS) meeting room
- Venue Address : MSS Rua de Caicoli, in front of UN compound Díli, Timor-Leste
14 October 2017
- The Workshop will be held at UNTL Dili Campus
- Venue Address : Av. Cidade de Lisboa, Dili, Timor Leste
For more information regarding Visa Information, please visit this link : www.migracao.gov.tl
Visa on Arrival
Visa on arrival can be obtained on the gate at Timor-Leste airport for certain nationality. Below are the requirements :
- Hold a passport or travel documents with an expired date not less than 6 months from the date of entry into Timor-Leste. The passport must have at least a whole unused page for the visa sticker
- Hold a return or onward ticket, or show ability to fund own departure
- Visa fee: US$30.
- Participants need to bring enough cash upon arrival at the airport since there is no currency exchange at the airport
The organizer has made block reservation of Deluxe rooms at Hotel Timor (http://www.timortur.com) for all participants.
Price is 100 USD/night all tax included
Check-in time : 14.00 hrs
Check-out time : 12.00 hrs
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided during the event. Welcoming dinner will be hosted by UNTL on Thursday 12 October at 18.20 pm at Hotel Timor the same hotel where participants will stay. While the second dinner on 13th of October will be hosted by SOI
- Transportation services will be arranged and provided by the organizer between the airport and hotel. There will be a person holding UNTL sign at the arrival gate.
- At the hotel, participants will be guided to the lower lobby of the hotel for room check-in.
- Airport transfer on the departure day will be arranged and provided by the organizer.
- Though, transportation will be provided to all international participants between venue and the hotel, and also airport pick and drop, but if participants wish to visit the Dili city in spare time, they are recommended to use Blue Taxi.
- Following is more detail on blue taxi:
Phone: (+670) 7742 7777/ 3311110. Taxi is metered and has good AC, with drivers who speak Tetun and English. Operate day and night-time. Minis Bus and yellow taxi are not recommended.
Climate and Clothing
The climate is tropical and generally hot and humid. It is characterized by distinct rainy and dry seasons. Clothing should be comfortable. Light weight long pants and long sleeve shirts are useful at night to protect exposed to skin from mosquito bites. Mosquito are known to dislike bright areas so light color clothing could also be useful. Smart casual is required for most restaurants especially during evening meal service.
- Small number of basic internet cafes exist in Dili with few offering broadband services, broadband can also be found in the better hotels through Dili. Timor Telecom and Telkomcel operates the phone services and unlocked mobile phones should be able to accept both provider sim card.
- Timor-Leste country code is +670 and the international code is 00 and the emergency service number is 112.
- Prepaid SIM card can be locally purchased for a cost of 1USD for the SIM-card and 5USD for 1GB for 10days.
Currency and Banking
- Currency: USD (United States Dollar)
- Banking : ANZ Bank and Mandiri Bank
- Credit Card: only a few establishments accept credit cards, usually requiring a substantial additional fee. It Is recommended to settle all bills in cash. Dili has several ATM machines that accepts US-issued bankcards. However, these machines are not reliable as they are frequently inoperative
Official languages: Tetum and Portuguese. However, the meeting presentations and printed materials will be conducted in English
If you want to confirm your attendance and/or need an invitation letter, please Register Here
- Junaid Naseem
Office Coordinator, UNESCO Dili Antenna Office
Mobile Phone: +67073145813
- Flotilda Da Costa
Admin / Finance Assistant
- Sasha Da Cruz
National Project Coordinator